Abraham believed God, is a psalm-like anthem written for the Advent/Christmas season. It was commissioned and premiered by Trinity College Choir, University of Melbourne, Australia in December 2012.
The text is a combination of Romans 4 and an old English poem:
1. ‘Abraham believed God,
and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.’
2. For the promise that he would inherit the world did not come to Abraham
or to his descendants through the law but through the righteousness of faith.
3.For this reason it depends on faith,
in order that the promise may rest on grace
4. and be guaranteed to all who share the faith of Abraham
(for he is the father of all of us).
5. Such obedience grant us, O Lord!
Ever to Thy most holy word.
6. That in the same we may accord
At this Abraham was bayn;
7. And then altogether shall we
That worthy King in heaven see,
8. And dwell with Him in great glorye
For ever and ever. Amen.
Recorded live at the Carol Service, December 2012.